[swift-evolution] Mark protocol methods with their protocol

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 19:13:03 CDT 2016

No problem! I understand *what* your proposal is. I don't understand what
benefit it has over the status quo.

Currently, when you say that your type T conforms to Collection, you are
not only guaranteeing that T has a member named count, you are also making
the guarantee that T.count meets the semantic requirements of
Collection.count. That is why protocol conformance is explicit. If count is
a member of T but does not meet the semantic guarantees of
Collection.count, then you should not conform T to Collection. So yes, a
protocol conformance *is* a fact you discover about a type.

I'm not yet convinced we "need" to solve the overlapping problem, as still
no one has demonstrated a real-world use case. If there is one, I think
there are far more surgical and additive approaches. But that is not the
topic of this thread.