[swift-evolution] Mark protocol methods with their protocol

Karl razielim at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 18:58:43 CDT 2016

I’ve explained it so many times, do you really not understand it?

Basically, protocols are explicit things. They are **not** things that you just “discover” about types at all. We have protocols with no members (“marker protocols”) which are basically used to tag certain types with no other guarantees. That is the important difference between protocols in Swift and in Objective-C. Even if you have implementations for every requirement, if you never explicitly declared conformance you don’t conform. Period.

However, the requirements themselves don’t need to be explicitly marked-up. They just get automatically assigned by the compiler; maybe my property named “count” doesn’t mean the same thing as Collection’s “count”?

I’ve written a lot trying to explain this; please tell me what you don’t understand. To summarise (again):

- Members which satisfy a protocol requirement will have to be explicit about which protocol they belong to
——> They will no longer be automatically assigned as the witness for a protocol requirement

- Members which satisfy a protocol requirement will have the protocol name in their symbolic names (e.g. MyType.someFunction() —> MyType.AProtocol.someFunction())
——> this will allow the same type to conform to protocols with overlapping names, free protocol designers from naming constraints, and reduce the need for “helper structs” to represent alternate views of the same data.
——> Extensions which declare conformance have to satisfy all of their requirements explicitly - by implementing, forwarding to other functions, stored properties or other objects. We can have a shorthand to make this easy.

IMO, we definitely need to solve the overlapping naming problem. If we explicitly assign protocol methods to protocols (as the thread was originally about), this falls out of it.