[swift-evolution] Mark protocol methods with their protocol

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Tue Sep 20 18:34:14 CDT 2016

on Tue Sep 20 2016, Karl <razielim-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the best way is to prefix the member name with the protocol, e.g:
>
> protocol MyProto {
>     var aVariable : Int
>     func aFunction()
> }
> class MyClass : MyProto {
>     var MyProto.aVariable : Int
>     func MyProto.aFunction() { … }
> CC-ing Dave A, to understand better if this fits with the vision of protocols

I generally agree with Doug.  The canonical way to indicate “this
method/property/type implements a requirement of protocol P” should be
to define the entity in an extension that also adds conformance to P.
If that's inadequate indication in some way we should find a way to
enhance it.  I wouldn't mind the notation above, but only as a fallback,
not a reuquirement.

--
-Dave