[swift-evolution] Mark protocol methods with their protocol

David Beck swift at tnku.co
Fri Sep 16 10:29:21 CDT 2016

With the transition from Swift 2 -> 3 I’ve started running into one particular issue VERY often (although it’s not necessarily specific to the transition). If a protocol method is optional (either because it is an @objc optional or because it has a default implementation) there is a risk that the conformer will have a misspelled or slightly incorrectly typed implementation of the method. For instance:

protocol RouteDestinationViewController: class {
	static func viewController(with url: URL, properties: [String:String]) -> UIViewController?
}

extension RouteDestinationViewController where Self: UIViewController {
	static func viewController(with url: URL, properties: [String:String]) -> UIViewController? {
		return Self.init()

class FooController: UIViewController, RouteDestinationViewController {
	static func viewController(with url: URL, properties: [String:Any]) -> UIViewController? {
		return FooController(properties: properties)

Notice the issue there? Properties is supposed to be [String:String], but FooController uses [String:Any] (this is an exact issue I ran into after a small refactor). When viewController(with:properties:) is called, it will use the default implementation instead of what the compiler sees as a completely different method. Over the betas the compiler has gotten better warnings about this, but is still not 100%.

Other cases of this issue are common with imported ObjC protocols that have different naming in Swift. In some cases an @objc name must be applied to ensure it is declared in a way that the protocol can see it.

We solve this problem with subclassing by requiring “override”. If the override keyword is present but the superclass doesn’t have a matching method, the compiler warns us about it. Similarly if the superclass implements the same method and the subclass doesn’t include override, we get a warning so that it is clear that you are overriding behavior.

For protocols, I don’t think a required keyword would be the best approach. It’s a completely valid case that a type could conform to a protocol using existing methods, perhaps even from a different module. Further, a single method could satisfy multiple protocols, and be overriden from a superclass. What I would propose would be something like an optional override(<#protocol name#>). Something like the following:

	override(RouteDestinationViewController) static func viewController(with url: URL, properties: [String:Any]) -> UIViewController? {
		return FooController(properties: properties)
	}

A method should be able to include multiple overrides (including a bare override to indicate that it is overriding a class method).

Thoughts? Are you seeing similar issues?

David Beck
http://davidbeck.co
http://twitter.com/davbeck
http://facebook.com/davbeck