[swift-evolution] Add something like [unowned self] syntax for passing instance methods into closure parameters without creating retain cycles

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:36:27 CDT 2016

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was working to fix the fact that we can't have optional unowned pointers in swift and Jordan said he didn't think anybody ever asked for it before. It made me worry about the kind of practices swift is encouraging.

The overhead of using weak pointers isn't massive, but it involves locking and updating global tables (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23689155/lots-of-overhead-for-weak-property). Unowned pointers don't have this overhead, and can also help you detect errors because they are fail-deadly.

 But yeah, I'd like to be able to reference non-owning instance methods.

   This (https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id922793622?pt=814382&mt=8&ct=how_i_email)  is how I Email now