[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0140: Bridge Optional As Its Payload Or NSNull

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Sat Sep 3 09:03:37 CDT 2016

The issue is that when the method doesn't immediately use the values of the array (e.g. stores it for later, or even worse passes them on to another object), the crash appears much later in the program with a message that NSNull doesn't respond to some selector - and that's often hard to debug.

On the other hand, I agree that it's better to use NSNull than how it currently works since this is a valid Swift 3 code:

let arr: [String?] = ["Hello", nil]
NSArray(array: arr)

that will not crash and will produce a valid NSArray. As Douglas Gregor mentioned earlier:

> […] because any Swift type can be placed in an Any, and anything can be bridged to Objective-C. Nearly all of the concerns in this thread are about this aspect of the already-accepted-and-implemented SE-0116: that an optional can get passed through to an Objective-C ‘id’ without being explicitly unwrapped. That behavior exists, and the type of the object seen in Objective-C is an opaque Swift wrapper type.

Playground will show the NSArray as two NSObjects (which are in fact _SwiftValue), which means that the ObjC will crash as well, but with even a more obscure message:

Attempted to dereference an invalid ObjC Object or send it an unrecognized selector.

So, choosing between two evils, I personally vote +1 for adding the NSNull bridging...