[swift-evolution] [Pitch]: Require parenthesis for ternary operator '?:' or change its priority

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Sat Sep 3 06:55:48 CDT 2016

I don't he's proposing to change the precedence of "?:" per se, just requiring — as part of its syntax — it to be enclosed in parens when it's not by itself:

x = condition ? y : z //ok, since it's by itself
x = (test || condition) ? y : z //ok, since it's still technically by itself
x = test || (condition ? y : z) //ok, has parens
x = test || condition ? y : z //syntax error, no parens

I don't actually know what the correct precedence for ?: is because I never use that 4th "form", for the very reason this change is being proposed: it's too easy for me to get mixed up otherwise.

Where was I? Oh, right, as I understand it, this doesn't so much change ?:'s precedence as it does remove it from the precedence "system".

- Dave Sweeris

Sent from my iPhone, without sleep.