[swift-evolution] [Accepted] SE-0121: Remove Optional Comparison Operators

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Fri Aug 26 20:01:05 CDT 2016

Goddammit. I completely missed this thread, because Pipermail regularly decides not to deliver the swift-evolution-announce version of review threads (which means they bypass my inbox). Why does it do this? Most of the emails get delivered, but it just skips some of them, and I keep ending up missing review threads because of it.

This change is going to have a HUGE impact for me. I use this sort of comparison _all the time_ and find it incredibly useful, and have had literally zero bugs caused by this. Surely I can't be the only one who uses this. I am not looking forward to copying & pasting a reimplementation of the comparison functions into every single project I work on.

I'm also really concerned about how fast such a hugely-impactful change was proposed, accepted, and implemented. The proposal PR was submitted on July 12, merged the same day, and a review kicked off again on the same day. And the first thread the proposal referenced only happened the previous day, on July 11. And the implementation landed only 12 days later on July 24th. This was extremely fast and didn't even have time to have the proposal listed on apple/swift-evolution for people to find before the review kicked off. It looks like this was done so the change could be made before the end of source-breaking changes, but the fast-tracking of something like this means that people like me completely missed it, and now we're stuck with a highly-impactful change that we don't want. Fast-tracking proposals is understandable when they're largely additive, or they fix something that is widely accepted as a problem. But being able to compare optionals is not universally recognized as a problem, and I know for a fact I've weighed in on this subject in the past on swift-evolution. I do not think it was appropriate to fast-track this proposal.

-Kevin Ballard