[swift-evolution] Keyword for protocol conformance

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 22:24:51 CDT 2016

Yes, and it's covered in those previous threads. In brief, not all
retroactive modeling involves extending a type:

* A vendor supplies you with a closed-source library with a struct S that
conforms to standard library protocol P.

* Protocol P requires a method named foo(), so struct S has its own
implementation of foo().

* You extend protocol P by adding a new default implementation of foo().

This cannot be done if a keyword is required for overriding a default
implementation. There is also nowhere for you to append any sort of "retro"
keyword anywhere, because no part of your own code extends S in any way.

Please, please take the time to study the previous threads; we should not
be re-playing existing discussions four or five times on this list.