[swift-evolution] Keyword for protocol conformance

Christopher Kornher ckornher at me.com
Thu Aug 25 17:32:13 CDT 2016

I hope that my brief email wasn’t the final word on this :(

Does anyone think that a proposal to require “override” for overrides of protocol extension methods and variables (?) would be worth exploring?

This would address a number of the issues raised in this thread, but not all.

My intention is not to derail this thread, and I believe that the original topic of this thread, explicit protocol conformance, is worth exploring. I respond here because of these topics are strongly related. I will start a new thread, if there is interest.

It is possible that tooling could address the remaining issues with overrides. JetBrains products, for example, provide navigable icons to overridden methods. There is no reason that Xcode and other tools could not automatically insert indicators like:

```
class MyClass: MyProtocol {

	< conforms >
	func myMethod() -> String {
        	return “..."
   	}

class MyClass2: MyProtocol1, MyProtocol2 {

	< conforms MyProtocol2 >
	func myMethod() -> String {
        	return “..."
    	}
```
Of course, there is no reason that tooling can’t replace “override” completely:

```
class MyClass: MyOtherClass, MyProtocol1, MyProtocol2 {

	< conforms MyProtocol2 >
	< overrides TheParentClassOfMyOtherClass>
	func myMethod() -> String {
        	return “..."
    	}
```

Replace "<…>” with the navigable graphic of your choice and assume that user preferences would exist to show/hide these indicators.