[swift-evolution] Pitch: really_is and really_as operators

Robert Widmann rwidmann at apple.com
Wed Aug 24 21:09:31 CDT 2016

I have 3 qualms with this proposal as it stands:

- type(of:) will never lie to you.

The only question it won’t answer to your satisfaction is the dynamic type of the NSString you boxed up as an Any.

- No more keywords without significant justification.

I don’t buy the performance use case at all - if you were properly concerned about performance you would try to use as many of Swift’s static features as possible.

- Especially no more keywords that look like they belong in Rust or PHP!

There is no precedent for the spelling of these operations other than the suffixed punctuation. Given that they’re domain-specific, will definitely be hard to use (given that NSString(string: "Bar”) may not “really” given you an NSString yet that’s what you asked us to check for “really"), and will be obviated by the implementation of SE-0083, I can’t see a reason why we need any of this in the language proper.

~Robert Widmann