[swift-evolution] Renaming for Protocol Conformance

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Wed Aug 24 14:23:28 CDT 2016

> On Aug 24, 2016, at 11:38 AM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 22, 2016, at 9:59 PM, Jonathan Hull via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We talked about this before when we were discussing mixins, and there seemed to be generally positive feelings towards it as a feature for the future.  I am fairly certain this affects the ABI though, so I thought I would bring it up now.
>>
>> If two protocols have methods/properties with the same name, but different signatures, we need a way to distinguish between them when attempting to conform to both.
>>
>> 	protocol A {
>> 		var x:Int {get set}
>> 	}
>>
>> 	protocol B {
>> 		var x:Double {get set}
>> 	}
>
> I believe that this can happen, and it is unfortunate that Swift has no mechanism for dealing with it today. However, I agree with Xiaodi that your proposal would be much stronger with real-world examples rather than theoretical ones.

Agreed. Unfortunately, everything is NDA’d at the moment.

Also, the problem (not the solution) is so obvious to me that I guess I am having trouble explaining it.  I never expected to have to argue that namespace collisions can cause problems… I thought everyone had had that experience (especially coming from ObjC).

I am not tied to this proposal, so much as I wanted to start a discussion exploring the possible solution space.  The explicit interface idea is a solid option.  I like that you wouldn’t necessarily have to expose a protocol’s members without qualification. I should also be able to effectively rename a member by calling the unexposed protocol implementation from a method with my desired name.

tl;dr:  I would like people to provide options/syntax for solving this problem (even if they are a bit wild), so that we can cherry pick the best stuff and put together an elegant solution…

Thanks,
Jon