[swift-evolution] Keyword for protocol conformance

Charlie Monroe charlie at charliemonroe.net
Tue Aug 23 00:11:18 CDT 2016

I don't see it as sub-par in this example (this actually happened to me):

@objc protocol Foo {
	optional func bar()
}

class FooImpl: Foo {
	func bar() { ... }
}

Now imagine that bar() gets renamed in the protocol to baz(). You get no warnings, nothing - since the bar() was optional (or can have default implementation as Chalers mentioned). FooImpl still conforms to Foo and bar() can live on there happily.

Yes, this could be solved by Xcode having a refactoring feature that works for Swift, or that you search & replace when renaming, but still doesn't solve when a 3rd party library does this and suddenly the behavior of your app changes completely. This goes against the compile-time safety Swift is about.

Currently, when you mark a method on a protocol as

@available(*, unavailable, renamed="baz")

you do not get any warnings either - perhaps that's the issue here. On the other hand, the naming may be completely coincidental and you can already have a method called bar() and it would then be impossible to conform to Foo unless you rename bar().

What I'd propose is not to make keyword optional. In case you implement the members declared by the protocol, mark it as @conforming (or conforming keyword?).

If it's retroactive modeling, redeclare the members. E.g.:

extension Bar: Foo {
	// The implementation will be taken from Bar's main implementation
	@conforming func bar()
}

But yeah, it's a bit of boilerplate...