[swift-evolution] InternalString class for easy String manipulation

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Mon Aug 22 22:41:13 CDT 2016

I generally agree with Xiaodi. I'm not saying that you need Unicode in your scientific application, but it's very easy to think that you don't need it when you actually do, especially because you don't necessarily get to test yourself. The argument that one doesn't need Unicode is the slippery slope down which current systems found themselves. As French native speaker, my insight is that the potential for misuse of ASCII strings has been demonstrated over and over.

I view ASCII strings as a mistake for the wider world. Instead of repeating that mistake, I would prefer to understand what kind of parsing/comparison you need to perform and come up with a more convenient solution to that.

Félix