[swift-evolution] [Swift4] Mailing list vs. Forum

Sean Alling allings at icloud.com
Sun Aug 21 10:10:14 CDT 2016

+1

I think this is a great idea! The use of a mailing list is manageable for a small (2-10) groups but doesn’t scale to the size and frequency of comments/replies that the Swift Open Source project has seen thus far.  Not to mention, it reeks of 1996.

I’m not sure if we should authenticate users via AppleID, because we want the Swift community to remain cross-platform going forward.

A Slack would be a great idea, for banter but may get crazy.  We would want the slack channels to remain subject pure (i.e., no shenanigans). Email is good in this regard in that a reply is expensive and therefore on-topic, whereas slack replies are cheap and therefore easily off topic. Anyone have any idea to combat that? Code of Conduct?

I think in making this decision we should separate the determination that the mailing lists are posing too great a burden at our scale from the selection of what we should use in its stead.

- Sean