[swift-evolution] [Pre-Proposal-Discussion] Union Type - Swift 4

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sat Aug 20 13:09:31 CDT 2016

> On Aug 20, 2016, at 12:27 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe I'm not getting something. But if you only want T | U | V to expose members required by common protocols P, Q, and R, since you know the types at compile time, you also know the common protocols. Why wouldn't you just write P & Q & R, and if necessary precondition(x is T || x is U || x is V)?

This isn’t something I personally was advocating for (in fact I specifically suggested *not* proposing this would be a better strategy for receiving serious consideration of something union-ish).

However, if we *did* do something like this it would provide a static verification that the precondition is met while still exposing the members of the common protocol(s) directly.  That is substantially better than runtime verification of the precondition or the boilerplate necessary to expose provide forwarding members.

My personal interest in something union-ish is really along the lines of syntactic sugar for enums.

Rather than writing this:

enum StringOrIntOrBool {
    case .string(String)
    case .int(Int)
    case .bool(Bool)
}

func foo(values: [StringOrIntOrBool]) {}

foo([.string(“hello”), .int(42)])

I would prefer to just write:

func foo(values: String | Int | Bool) {}

foo([“hello”, 42])

The use case for this I found is in designing DSLs of various kinds where you need to accept a heterogenous collection of a specific fixed list of concrete types.  The primary concern is to have static verification of the possible values provided by the caller without requiring callers to manually instantiate cases and without polluting the member types with unwanted conformance to a single-use protocol (which would be an alternative if we get sealed protocols).

If we add automatic lifting as Brent suggested that solves the primary concern I have.  If we do add that, introducing the union-like notation would make sense as convenient syntactic sugar for use in these scenarios where the sugar states the intent more clearly and concisely than something a contrived name like `StringOrIntOrBool`.  But as I have already stated, that is as secondary concern and automatic lifting alone would solve the primary (call site / library user) concern.

Matthew