[swift-evolution] InternalString class for easy String manipulation

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 18 17:43:22 CDT 2016

When I say "reinterpret", I mean taking the UTF-8 bytes and pretend that they're UTF-16. This is an extremely clear bug whenever it happens. The correct conversion between UTF-8 and UTF-16 is lossless.

The vast majority of systems, including file systems and email addresses, support Unicode. I'm struggling to come up with an example where a restriction isn't the result of lazy assumptions. It's not like we have to pause and check that every link on the network path is 8-bit clean anymore.

Félix