[swift-evolution] InternalString class for easy String manipulation

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 18 13:51:41 CDT 2016

I'm not sure I understand your comment. UTF-8 and UTF-16 are just two different ways to represent Unicode data, and they can both encode the whole range of Unicode. Of course you'll have problems if you try to interpret UTF-8 as UTF-16 and vice-versa, but that'll do you regardless of whether you use international characters or not.Félix

    On Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:33 AM, Kenny Leung via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

 >> Just because you are using UTF-8 as the internal format, it does not mean that universal support is guaranteed.

All I meant was this, and nothing more. If the internal format was UTF-8, and you were using a filesystem whose filenames were UTF-16, you would have the same problems.

-Kenny