[swift-evolution] InternalString class for easy String manipulation

Kenny Leung kenny_leung at pobox.com
Wed Aug 17 17:03:21 CDT 2016

> On Aug 17, 2016, at 1:57 PM, William Sumner <prestonsumner at me.com> wrote:

> You may be interested in this article by Mike Ash, which gives a rationale for the String API, including why indexes aren't simple integers: https://www.mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2015-11-06-why-is-swifts-string-api-so-hard.html

Thanks for the pointer.

I guess being told *why* the String API is so hard doesn’t make me feel much better about the fact that it *is* hard.

It opens:

“One of the biggest complaints I see from people using Swift is the String API. It's difficult and obtuse, and people often wish it were more like string APIs in other languages.”

It’s been said on the list that they are thinking about rewriting the String at some point. I’m hoping that the API can be made simpler.

-Kenny