[swift-evolution] Passing an optional first argument to sequence(first:next:)

Maximilian Hünenberger m.huenenberger at me.com
Tue Aug 16 02:39:31 CDT 2016

It's true, empty sequences aren't inherently unsafe but an oversight of the nil case can lead to unexpected empty sequences which then lead to bugs. Eg.:

let number = Int(string)
for i in sequence(first: number, next: { $0 * 2 - 1 }).prefix(10) {
    print(i)
}

If the string cannot be converted to an Int the for loop doesn't run at all. However the original intention was to provide a default and the loop should run in either case:

let number = Int(string) ?? 2

This could be a scenario where "first" should be of type "T". And checking for nil isn't that hard if you want to avoid to run the loop in the nil case.