[swift-evolution] InternalString class for easy String manipulation

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 13:50:44 CDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 1:07 PM, Michael Savich <savichmichael at icloud.com>
wrote:

> At the risk of treading on sacred ground, does Swift need arbitrary
> Unicode in identifiers? The Swift guidebook uses emojis as variable names
> as an example of the benefits of this which is… not convincing...

The ship has sailed on that decision, I'd imagine.

But in any case, debugging strings would still need to support Unicode
because file paths, etc., need to be Unicode-aware. IMO, you're right that
a clear distinction between UI and non-UI is useful, but that doesn't break
down into Unicode vs. ASCII, and it's not clear to me that strings used for
these two purposes need or should have distinct APIs.

If it is international users that is the concern, my understanding is that
> they usually use English for everything because AFAIK the Swift keywords
> are English no matter where you are.
>
> One reason I could see for keeping Unicode strings is if we localized
> keywords into other languages, but that is a whole other discussion.

Sent from my iPhone