[swift-evolution] Pitch: URL(fileURLWithPath:) to URL(filePath:)

Sebastian Hagedorn sebastian at iosphere.de
Sun Aug 7 03:42:05 CDT 2016

I'd prefer to still allow the old signature, and raise either a deprecation warning, or introduce a new warning type. This would ensure you don't have to make all the changes the minute a new version of Swift/Xcode is released, without having to stick to an older version of the language itself. It's just the name after all.

Having a separate warning type for these would allow to easily hide (or disable) them while working on a more urgent issue first, or to hide these purely cosmetic warnings in CI builds.

It wouldn't have to be limited to the Swift 4 timeframe either but could provide a smooth transition whenever needed, similar to how it's done with the SDK updates, too.