[swift-evolution] [Accepted] SE-0112: Improved NSError Bridging

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Fri Aug 5 19:16:41 CDT 2016

> On Aug 5, 2016, at 4:19 PM, Douglas Gregor via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 5, 2016, at 12:59 PM, Kevin Ballard via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> If all you want to do is get the localized description, then you can just say `(error as NSError).localizedDescription`.
>
> Just ‘error.localizedDescription’ works now. That was part of SE-0112.
>
> 	- Doug

Would it kill to allow:

let err = NSError()
err.localizedDescription = "bad things happen"
throw err

or even

throw NSError("Bad things happen")

for lightweight use? I ended up refactoring entirely to enum : Error because Swift yelled at me for using NSError(): "this results in an invalid NSError instance. It will raise an exception in a future release. Please call errorWithDomain:code:userInfo: or initWithDomain:code:userInfo:. This message shown only once."

enum Errors: Error {case bad}
Errors.bad._code // 0
Errors.bad._domain // "Errors"
Errors.bad._userInfo // Optional({})
Errors.bad.localizedDescription // "The operation couldn’t be completed. (Errors error 0.)"

Bleh.

-- E