[swift-evolution] [Idea] return if / return unless

Kurt Werle kurt at circlew.org
Thu Aug 4 09:52:16 CDT 2016

Why would you do this just for return statements?  Why not do postfix
conditionals for all statements (like ruby)?

I've always liked postfix conditionals, but not enough to suggest them.
Mostly I'm curious about limiting the scope to return statements.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Christian Kienle via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> +1

> swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>
>> How often have you written something like the following?
>>
>> `
>> if indexPath.row == 0 { return }
>>
>> guard let thing = things[index] else { return nil }
>> `
>>
>> I propose adding some syntactic sugar to make such statements more
>> readable and simple to write:
>>
>> `
>> return if indexPath.row == 0
>>
>> return nil unless let thing = things[index]
>> `
>>
>> I don’t know how easy or hard this would be to implement, but I think it
>> would improve some code significantly.
>>
>> –Julian Dunskus

> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> *Christian Kienle*
> Mobile Developer
>
> *REWE Digital GmbH*
> Domstraße 20, 50668 Köln, Büro: Schanzenstr. 6-20, 51063 Köln
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Jean-Jacques Michel van Oosten (Vorsitzender),
> Christoph Eltze, Dr. Johannes Steegmann, Dr. Robert Zores
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Köln (HRB 78670) UST-ID-Nr.: DE 290 605 450
>
> Telefon: +49 151 11441782
> E-Mail: christian.kienle at rewe-digital.com
> Internet: *www.rewe-digital.com <http://www.rewe-digital.com/>*
>
> Ein Unternehmen der *REWE GROUP*