[swift-evolution] Improved value and move semantics

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Wed Aug 3 21:57:17 CDT 2016

>>> My vision for this feature is:
>>>
>>> a. We indirect automatically based on some heuristic, as an
>>> optimization.
>
> I weakly disagree with this, because it is important that we provide a predictable model.  I’d rather the user get what they write, and tell people to write ‘indirect’ as a performance tuning option.  “Too magic” is bad.

I think 'indirect' structs with a heuristic default are important to the way people are writing Swift in practice. We've seen many users fully invest in value semantics types, because they wants the benefits of isolated state, without appreciating the code size and performance impacts. Furthermore, implementing 'indirect' by hand is a lot of boilerplate. Putting indirectness entirely in users' hands feels to me a lot like the "value if word sized, const& if struct" heuristics C++ makes you internalize, since there are similar heuristics where 'indirect' is almost always a win in Swift too.

-Joe