[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Breaking precedence

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Aug 2 23:46:40 CDT 2016

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 2:41 PM, Anton Zhilin via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Here is the proposal draft:
> https://github.com/Anton3/swift-evolution/blob/remove-precedence-bitwise-arithmetic.md/proposals/NNNN-remove-precedence-bitwise-arithmetic.md <https://github.com/Anton3/swift-evolution/blob/remove-precedence-bitwise-arithmetic.md/proposals/NNNN-remove-precedence-bitwise-arithmetic.md>
>
> Motivation will be the most difficult section here.

Yes, it will.  Some 2c to consider:

1) Swift 4 is being designed with the ability to all us to make “source changes" that don’t break existing source code.

2) It is really important that we continue to polish the language to make it great for the long term, so the spirit of your proposal is great to explore.

3) That said, any source breaking change needs to be *very* strongly motivated.  To make this change, you should find evidence of common bugs that would be solved by this, evidence of actual user confusion in practice, etc.

4) Assuming all of the above works out, we still won’t be able to evaluate the proposal until we have the exact details of how the “source stability” model works.  Until we have that model, we don’t know that this proposal will be able to be covered by it.

On #4, I’m pretty certain that we will be fine, but until we have the model nailed down, we procedurally can’t even have the formal review period.  In any case, you need to build a specific proposal with very strong rationale first.  :-)

-Chris