[swift-evolution] Swift 3.1 discussions, go?

Michael Peternell michael.peternell at gmx.at
Tue Aug 2 17:19:33 CDT 2016

Haha ;)

1) Maybe converting the algorithm into a tail-recursive form should be the first optimization?

func factorial(_ n: Int, multipliedBy m: Int = 1) -> Int {
    return n <= 1 ? m : factorial(n-1, multipliedBy: m*n)
}

2) Using a non-recursive algorithm would improve performance even more, I guess.

3) The third is maybe to use precalculation or an efficient algorithm that doesn't call `factorial` that often. (Assuming that your use-case isn't just calculating factorial numbers for fun.) (E.g. if you try to calculate (52 over 3) by using the formula (52!/(49!*3!)) it will be inefficient, and btw it will crash, because 52! does not fit into an Int. The efficient way is 52*51/2*50/3 ("*","/": same precedence, left-associative.)) On my 64-bit computer I cannot go beyond 20!, factorial(21) gives an EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION a.k.a. integer overflow. There is no point in optimizing 20!, and there certainly is no point in optimizing 40!, at least with Int's.

There is really no point in optimizing that anymore beyond that. A silly SIMD-optimized algorithm is always worse than a well-designed algorithm compiled with -O0. If you do standard optimization techniques first, the advantage of SIMD-instructions for factorial become unmeasurable ;)

However, I agree that special optimizations for numeric computations (SIMD and other extension) would be cool..

-Michael