[swift-evolution] [Accepted] SE-0112: Improved NSError Bridging

Jon Shier jon at jonshier.com
Tue Aug 2 12:30:39 CDT 2016

	I’m not sure where to put such feedback, but the ErrorProtocol to Error rename that accompanied the implementation of this proposal is very, very painful. It completely eliminates the very useful ability to embed an associated Error type inside other types, as those types now conflict with the protocol. Also, was this rename accompanied by an evolution proposal? It seems like the change was just made when this proposal was implemented.
	Also, the adoption of this proposal by the Cocoa(Touch) frameworks as seen in Xcode 8 beta 4 has made asynchronous error handling quite a bit more arduous. For example, the CKDatabase method fetch(withRecordID recordID: CKRecordID, completionHandler: (CKRecord?, Error?) -> Void) returns an `Error` now, meaning I have to cast to the specific `CKError` type to get useful information out of it. Is this just an unfortunate first effort that will be fixed, or is this the expected form of these sorts of APIs after this proposal?

Jon Shier