[swift-evolution] [Swift4] Mailing list vs. Forum

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Tue Aug 2 10:21:58 CDT 2016

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 9:04 AM, Brad Hilton via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Brandon,
>>>
>>> Moving from email to a forum system has come up before, but they have some disadvantages.One of major wins of email is that it is pervasive and can be adapted into other forms.For example, if you haven’t seen it yet, check out:
>>> https://stylemac.com/hirundo/
>>>
>>> -Chris
>>>
>> We've discussed forums on swift-evolution before. Maybe it's time for another go, with Swift 3 winding down.
>>
>> For context, prior discussions are on this thread:https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151207/001537.html
>>
>> I'd just like to vote once again forDiscourse(http://www.discourse.org/faq/#what):-Excellent web interface(https://meta.discourse.org/), from the people who brought you Stack Overflow(built-in search, etc.)
>> - Read via email if that's your thing: it has "mailing list mode" which includes 1-email-per-post, if that's your cup of tea
>> - It'sopen source(https://github.com/discourse/discourse)itself
>> - I believe it has ways of getting content as JSON and/or RSS, so I'd hardly say "can be adapted into other forms" is an exclusive feature of email.
>>

> +1. I would love to see Swift Evolution on Slack or a forum, it would be so much easier to manage.

Apologies for cross-thread posting but if anyone reading this thread can hop over to " [META] Gmane and Swift Evolution" and help the effort to recover from depending on a third party service, it will be greatly appreciated. It is an instructive example of why remaining with a mailing list, flaws and all, is probably the best answer for Swift Evolution.

-- E