[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Breaking precedence

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 08:50:28 CDT 2016

Re: ternary operators--this goes far beyond the boundaries of the
discussion you yourself started. Removing certain relative precedences so
that parentheses are required is one thing; *changing* relative precedences
is quite another. For me at least, the latter is an absolute nonstarter.
Every existing usage of the operator could potentially *silently* break.

As to removing certain precedences--the current Swift precedences are
rationally defensible. Perhaps anything you propose would be too, but
trading one rational scheme for another (at best) is not justification
enough for a source-breaking change. Instead, show me a scenario in which
you write something today that could plausibly do something other than what
it might look like, where forcing parentheses would fix the issue--i.e.
convince me a change would eliminate actual user errors--and I'm on board.
So far, I haven't seen one (even the "maybe" scenario above, a && b | c,
wouldn't work in Swift unless you defined custom operator functions
yourself, so there's no real possibility of a silent error).