[swift-evolution] Improved value and move semantics

Bram Beernink bram.beernink89 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 08:13:02 CDT 2016

Hi Karl and Haravikk,

Thank you for your replies.

I was assuming that the cases I represented are not always optimized for several reasons:
Swift’s book only talks about optimization in the context of arrays, strings and dictionaries. Not in the context of structs in general:
“The description above refers to the “copying” of strings, arrays, and dictionaries. The behavior you see in your code will always be as if a copy took place. However, Swift only performs an actual copy behind the scenes when it is absolutely necessary to do so. Swift manages all value copying to ensure optimal performance, and you should not avoid assignment to try to preempt this optimization.”
Excerpt From: Apple Inc. “The Swift Programming Language (Swift 2.2).” iBooks. https://itun.es/nl/jEUH0.l <https://itun.es/nl/jEUH0.l>
In https://github.com/apple/swift/tree/eb27bb65a7c17bd9b4255baee5c4e4f9c214bde6/stdlib/public/core <https://github.com/apple/swift/tree/eb27bb65a7c17bd9b4255baee5c4e4f9c214bde6/stdlib/public/core> I see
public mutating func append(_ newElement: Element) , line 1268,
using _makeUniqueAndReserveCapacityIfNotUnique() at line 1269, leading me to suspect that to have COW, you have to do additional work.
Doing some manual tests some time ago, isUniquelyReferenced seemed to return false in a case like append_one as https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/OptimizationTips.rst#advice-use-inplace-mutation-instead-of-object-reassignment <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/OptimizationTips.rst#advice-use-inplace-mutation-instead-of-object-reassignment> mentioned by Karl, meaning that it indeed leads to unnecessary copying.

In any case, https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/OptimizationTips.rst#advice-use-inplace-mutation-instead-of-object-reassignment <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/OptimizationTips.rst#advice-use-inplace-mutation-instead-of-object-reassignment> does mention that: “Sometimes COW can introduce additional unexpected copies if the user is not careful.” I would argue that what we need is not only COW, but Copy On Write When Necessary, COWWN. In COWWN copies are only made when writing to the shared reference if it is not unique and the shared reference’s old state is still referred to in next statements. So not only is the current reference count taken into account, but also whether the old state is needed afterwards. This is both runtime as well as compile-time data.

So my questions would be:
Why does Swift sometimes do additional unnecessary copying, as implied by https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/OptimizationTips.rst#advice-use-inplace-mutation-instead-of-object-reassignment <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/OptimizationTips.rst#advice-use-inplace-mutation-instead-of-object-reassignment> in the case of append_one? Is this a problem that cannot be solved? (In C++ you would solve this example using a=a.append_one(std::move(a)). But I would think that since Swift does not have to deal with pointers and manual memory management, it can automatically detect such cases unlike C++?)
If/once structs are COWWN, can Swift introduce immutable functions for the standard library, such as func appended(_ newElement: Element) -> Array<Element>?

Best regards,
Bram.