[swift-evolution] Swift 3.0 vs 3.x and Timing Clarification

Robert Hedin robert.hedin at weather.com
Sat Jul 30 23:19:53 CDT 2016

I thought Chris was pretty clear as well; but what was said was:

"Over the next year, the core team expects to ship two major releases of
Swift: *Swift 3.x in Spring 2017* and *Swift 4 in Fall 2017*."

I'm know I'm being pedantic, but since 3.0 hasn't been released yet, it
sounds like it should be one of the "two major releases". While I'd love to
have Swift 3 for this year, I'm fine if it's slipping. Honestly, I'm not a
fan of tying what are huge language changes to an arbitrary annual ship
schedule anyway.

All that said, I'm just looking for clarity one way or the other so that I
can plan our app migration strategy over the near term.

rob.

*w:* 770-226-2650      *e:* robert.hedin at weather.com