[swift-evolution] RFC: Preventing Retain Cycles (Memory Ownership Model)

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Sat Jul 30 05:34:26 CDT 2016

This is very interesting, but it'll probably be a little while before I can fully get my head around it.

One query though; an example mentioned is adding @owns(Element) to the Generator protocol, but associated types feel a little different to me; you mention using the strong keyword as an alternative, but I wonder if that might actually be a better fit for the associated type case, while @owns works elsewhere, or perhaps strong could even be made a shorthand for simpler cases? Just thinking out loud I guess, it would be nice to hear the thought process around associated types; most (possibly all I don't remember) cases in which I've used associated types it has been for strong references, so it seems like that should be as easy as possible to do under the new opt-in approach.

But yeah, I generally agree that this ought to be opt-in, as it's an area I do stumble upon quite a bit myself (in many languages).