[swift-evolution] [Swift4] Priorities and Sugar

Magnus Ahltorp map at kth.se
Fri Jul 29 19:53:41 CDT 2016

> 30 Jul 2016 02:38 Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 29, 2016, at 5:29 PM, Magnus Ahltorp <map at kth.se> wrote:
>>
>>> 30 Jul 2016 02:17 Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Moving into early Swift 4 planning and development, we have no desires beyond what I listed in the big email.  There is no long laundry list, it is a few specific (big!) topics.
>>>
>>> We specifically do not want a surge of proposals.
>>
>> Is it appropriate to discuss high-level topics that are not one of the topics on your list? Example: Decreasing the number of cases where unsafe constructs have to be used.
>>
>> If it is not, how do topics get on the list?
>
> If a topic is related to source or ABI compatibility, it is fair game for discussion.  We don’t want to widen the doors beyond this, because that is already a huge set of very important topics.

I assume you mean for Swift 4 Stage 1? I was more referring to the Stage 2 list of high-level topics. When/how will it be appropriate to discuss what the topics should be? Before or after Stage 1 is completed, or not at all?

Also, "Our goal is to be better at string processing than Perl!" doesn't seem to be very related to ABI stability, but it is listed under Stage 1.

/Magnus