[swift-evolution] [Meta] What does the backlog mean to the process?

Daniel Vollmer lists at maven.de
Fri Jul 29 10:48:02 CDT 2016

Hi,

> On 29 Jul 2016, at 17:15, Félix Cloutier via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> With the Swift 3 deadline passed, according to the Swift Evolution progress page, about 20% of the proposals that the community voted in won't make it for Swift 3. Beyond the implications for the language itself, what does that mean for the swift-evolution process?

Getting a proposal approved doesn’t necessarily mean someone will feel obliged to implement it. Sometimes people propose a feature they’d like to see, but do not have the knowledge to implement it. Sometimes the scope of a feature is only evident after the review (and sometimes it’s not even evident then — some gotchas only pop up once you try to implement “for real”).

I think we need to keep an eye on the backlog (both proposals *and* implementation of previously approved ones), but if no-one’s willing to implement them, I don’t think we can force anyone…

	Daniel.