[swift-evolution] [SHORT Review] SE-0132: Rationalizing Sequence end-operation names

Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 18:21:19 CDT 2016

Whoops, hit reply too soon. Please consider the following inserted in the
gap in my last email:

2. We're not comfortable with heavily overloading a property with a bunch
> of methods, and didn't want to make `first` and `last` into methods.

I am okay with this overload precisely *because* the functionality is so
similar.

3. Most APIs work fine, but `hasFirst(_:)` is atrocious, and we see no
> better alternative which includes the word `first`.

Agreed. Both `starts(with:)` or `hasPrefix(_:)` are much better, and I
would be happy with either.

…and I seem to have cut off a sentence at the end of my last email:

Something like `prefix(limit: n)` is more descriptive than the bare
`prefix(n)` form, however in my view it still falls short of clarity
achieved by `first(n)`.

Nevin