[swift-evolution] [Rejected] SE-0122: Use colons for subscript declarations

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Jul 25 22:37:13 CDT 2016

Proposal Link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0122-use-colons-for-subscript-type-declarations.md

The review of "SE-0122: Use colons for subscript declarations" ran from July 19…24. The proposal has been *rejected*.

The feedback on this proposal from the community was overall divided with a slight bias towards reject.  Reasonable arguments were made on both sides: subscripts are definitely property-like in some ways, but they are also function-like in other ways.  Further, if we were aiming to align declaration syntax with use, arguably the parameter list should be enclosed in square brackets (but to be clear, we’re not going to do that).  Overall, the core team agrees with the pervasive sentiment that this is not important enough to make a change for.

Thank you to James Froggatt for raising this proposal,

-Chris Lattner
Review Manager