[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Formalized Ordering, take 2

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 14:06:54 CDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Stephen Canon via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> First, this is orthogonal to "adhering to the standard".
>  isTotallyOrdered( ) provides the total order predicate required by IEEE
> 754.  The standard has no opinion about whether or not `<=>` is bound to
> that predicate.
>
> Personally, I would be OK with using the `isTotallyOrdered` semantics for
> `<=>`.  However, it leads to some behavior that would be surprising for
> novices: x is NaN, and a set S is { 1, 2, NaN }, but S does not contain x.
> I am skeptical that the distinction between NaN payloads is salient *for
> generic code written on Comparable types*.  It *is* salient for some
> (rare!) floating-point specific code, but `isTotallyOrdered` is available
> for floating-point types.
>
> There’s also the issue that if we want to be able to point at IEEE 754 and
> say “<=> implements a total order on Level N”, distinguishing distinct NaNs
> has consequences for other values.  In particular, it means that a decimal
> type should distinguish between 1e0 and 10e-1, because it would necessarily
> be an ordering on level 3 or 4.  For { 1, 20 } to not contain 2e1 seems
> highly dubious to me.

Given your reasoning, I have to agree that ordering on level 2 is the only
sensible option for generic code written on Comparable types.

With this resolution, I think Dave has largely convinced me that the design
as originally proposed (shadowable but not overridable `==` forwards to
`===`, etc.) should be workable for wisely chosen implementations of `===`

– Steve