[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Formalized Ordering, take 2

Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:23:58 CDT 2016

Pyry, this proposal looks great to me. My one question is, will I be able
to write `someCollection.sort(.ascending)` and get the expected
result? (This could be an additive future direction.)

Stephen, what is your rationale for wanting `<=>` to identify NaN values
with different payloads as `.equal`?

I believe the IEEE 754 total order specification uses the bit-pattern just
as Pyry’s proposal does, and there is value is adhering to the standard.
Besides, if someone intentionally wishes to consider all NaN values as
equivalent they can use `.isNaN` (or even map them to .nan first for
uniformity).

Nevin