[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review #3] SE-0117: Allow distinguishing between public access and public overridability

Dmitriy Y. Volkov volkovd90 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 02:06:06 CDT 2016

-1 to add this proposal for Swift 3.0

I’ve been reading mailing list for the last two reviews of this proposal and discussion turned from “We shouldn’t add this at all” - which was kind of justified  to “How actually will it interops with other swift features” - which still has a lot of questions of how exactly this modifiers will play out with other accessibility modifiers, and it seems like there is still no single answer. As Scott said, I have the same feeling that this proposal is being rushed to be accepted before the changed to Swift 3 are locked, and this won’t do any good to its semantics.

Perhaps, core team can write out their thoughts on how this addition to language will fit with all the current class modifiers (final, dynamic etc)? I think it might be accepted during the Swift 3.x phase, when all the edge cases will be thought out, made non-default and then enabled to its full force in Swift 4.0?