[swift-evolution] [Draft][Proposal] Formalized Ordering

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Sun Jul 24 11:58:09 CDT 2016

on Sat Jul 23 2016, Pyry Jahkola <pyry.jahkola-AT-iki.fi> wrote:

> Given all this, I propose a simpler model that makes `a <=> b` follow
> the expected behaviour of < and ==, with the tradeoff that `a <=>
> .nan` and `.nan <=> b` will abort with a precondition failure:

This effectively makes it a precondition violation to default-sort
a sequence of floats that contains a NaN or even to ask whether
someSequence.contains(.nan).  IMO that's not really acceptable.

> 1) We keep the current Interface of Equatable unchanged, with !=
> defined in terms of ==.
>
> 2) Comparable would still refine Equatable, and include all the
> comparison operators, adding the new <=>:
>
>     protocol Comparable : Equatable {
>       static func <=>(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Ordering
>       static func <(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool
>       static func >(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool
>       static func <=(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool
>       static func >=(lhs: Self, rhs: Self) -> Bool
>     }
>
> The comparison operators are kept in the interface so that partially
> ordered types such as Double can be supported in generic
> code. However, the documentation should recommend against defining `<`
> manually.
>
> 3) Default implementations for <Self : Comparable> are provided for
> the following operators: ==, <, >, <=, and >=.
>
> 4) User-defined types will need to define just <=> to conform to
> Comparable. (Even == can be omitted!)
>
> 5) FloatingPoint types implement custom versions of ==, <, >, <=, and
>>= using the standard IEEE 754 definition (i.e. comparisons involving
> NaN return false). Zero is zero; `0.0 == -0.0 && !(-0.0 < 0.0)` holds.
>
> 6) FloatingPoint types implement <=> as:
>
>     func <=> <T : FloatingPoint>(lhs: T, rhs: T) -> Ordering {
>       if lhs < rhs { return .ascending }
>       if rhs < lhs { return .descending }
>       precondition(lhs == rhs)
>       return .same
>     }
>
> 7) Algorithms using <=> directly should mention so in their
> documentation as a precondition that they require total order between
> elements. Many generic algorithms can be defined in terms of == or <,
> and should.
>
> If we took the oroginally planned route that distinguished between
> identities such as -0.0 vs. +0.0, or between the 2⁴⁹ - 2 ≈ 5.6 × 10¹⁴
> possible NaN values that Double has,

I agree that our default ordering and equivalence tests should not
consider these differences to be essential/salient.