[swift-evolution] [Draft] Fix a typo in two String methods

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 24 02:00:22 CDT 2016

So I can see in hindsight that perhaps people meant "NUL-terminated string" the whole time, but "NUL-terminated string" has 19,700 results on Google, whereas "null-terminated string" has 192,000.

I have a funny anecdote to share. I got really upset on reddit one day <https://xkcd.com/386/> that someone said that some trojan was a "virus". That's not right! Trojans are not viruses! And then someone came along and asked, "what type of software would you use to remove a trojan?" And the answer to that, of course, is an anti-virus.

I can come up with a number of other instances where people use technically incorrect names that are just so powerfully ingrained that it's not even worth it to fight back. Like JPEG vs JFIF.

Point being, while I have lots of respect for standards, if what you want is consensus, siding with the 90% is a better idea.

Félix