[swift-evolution] [Draft][Proposal] Formalized Ordering

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 22:08:13 CDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:

> on Fri Jul 22 2016, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com>
> wrote:

> matthew at anandabits.com

> <

> But
> name.
> real

> most
> impression
> >> as
> >> bikesheding

> collapse

> ===
> for

> >> *but
> >> sign

> `.same `

> or
> numerics

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_floating_point#Total-ordering_predicate

> >> definition

> same

> seems
> trip
> consider

> >> any
> ordering
> Breaking
> IEEE
> >>
> >> Wait, I thought we were saying that `<=>` could be IEEE totalOrder, and
> >> `===` could be like `==` but with well-behaved NaNs, so it's still an
> >> equivalence relation, thus declaring the signedness of 0 to be
> >> inessential.
> >>

> > I was (that was the "=== if but not iff <=>" business above), then I
> > thought Matthew was saying something different and agreed with him.
> >
> > What I thought that Matthew thought was actually very insightful. He
> didn't
> > actually think this, apparently, but: IEEE totalOrder does exactly what
> it
> > says on the tin. But, it is not useful for any generic comparisons or (as
> > far as I'm aware) any generic sorting algorithms. I cannot conceive of a
> > numeric algorithm or a generic algorithm that relies on two equal
> floating
> > point values being ordered based on their binary representation. We
> should
> > have some way of exposing totalOrder to a user of a BinaryFloatingPoint
> > type, but I don't know that it should be the basis for floating point
> > *identity* with respect to protocol conformance. It's explicitly *not*
> what
> > IEEE recommends for comparison anyway.
>
> That makes sense.  Perhaps IEEE hasn't actually made a principled
> decision about which aspects of floating point numbers are essential,
> and we have to do it for them.

I may have to walk back some comments. IEEE totalOrder rules should work
fine for <=> if we relax "a === b iff (a <=> b) == .same", as it explicitly
states:

a) If x < y, totalOrder(x, y) is true. [i.e. compares ascending]
b) If x > y, totalOrder(x, y) is false. [i.e. does not compare ascending]

This is where Steve's expertise comes in. In either case, I think we might
have a solution for `===` behaving weirdly in generic algorithms.