[swift-evolution] [Draft][Proposal] Formalized Ordering

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Fri Jul 22 21:46:26 CDT 2016

> On Jul 22, 2016, at 7:23 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
>
> No, NSString's conformance to Identifiable (probably NSObject's,
> actually) would define `===` in terms of `isEqual()`.  That's saying
> identity for these types is determined by `isEqual()`.

So `===` no longer tests if both instances are the same? What's the way to do that now—`ObjectIdentifier(lhs) == ObjectIdentifier(rhs)`? (Should it still be called "Identifier" if we're taking the term "identifiable" for something else? Do we need to change the general term "identity", as in "instances of reference types have an identity"?)

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies