[swift-evolution] [Draft][Proposal] Formalized Ordering

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Fri Jul 22 18:34:09 CDT 2016

on Fri Jul 22 2016, Tony Allevato <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> > types where == is the obvious thing you want to implement, and this makes
>> > it less obvious. It also adds a named method to a protocol to serve the
>> > purpose of an operator, which I've been fighting hard against in SE-0091
>> > (even though you keep the global one and delegate to it).
>> >
>> > There are two concepts at play here: comparability and orderability.
>> 99.99%
>> > of the time, they are identical.
>>
>> The concepts are “domain-specific semantics” vs “semantics that is
>> useful in generic contexts.”  Yes, they are usually identical.
>>
>> > Your proposal mentions one place where they're not: IEEE floating
>> > point numbers, because there exists an element in that space, NaN,
>> > that doesn't satisfy an equivalence relation at all.
>>
>> It's not limited to NaN.  The +0/-0 distinction can be tricky as well.
>>
>> > But it's still reasonable to want a stable ordering with those
>> > included.
>>
>> It's also reasonable to want to search for those in a collection or use
>> them as hash keys.  I'm pointing this out because it goes to the
>> definition of equality, which sorting in general does not.
>>
>> > In the proposal as it's written right now, the individual inequality
>> > operators are implemented in terms of <=>. That won't work for
>> > FloatingPoint, because (NaN < x) and (NaN >= x) should both be false but
>> > the default implementations provided would make the latter true. So
>> > FloatingPoint would still have to provide its own implementations of *all
>> > of the (in)equality operators*, not just ==, in order to have the correct
>> > definition w.r.t. to IEEE 754. I didn't see that called out anywhere in
>> the
>> > write-up.
>>
>> That's my error, actually. I wasn't thinking straight when I proposed a
>> change to the proposal that I claimed dropped the need for the other
>> operators.
>>
>> > That being said, don't get me wrong—there's still a lot about this
>> proposal
>> > that I like :)  Here's what I'm thinking (which is mostly what you have
>> > written, with some tweaks):
>> >
>> > 1) Don't change Equatable. I don't see a need to distinguish between
>> > equivalence and equality on its own (if there is one, please let me
>> > know!).
>>
>> There is, because for algorithms that require Equatable to have any kind
>> of meaningful semantics the equivalence relation requirement must be
>> fulfilled, and prominent types exist whose `==` operator is not an
>> equivalence relation.
>>

> Thanks for the detailed reply, Dave—this and some of your earlier replies
> to this thread have helped me understand the use cases for this
> distinction. So the argument is that something like this:
>
>     [ 1.0, -2.0, Double.NaN, 4.0 ].contains(Double.NaN)
>
> should return true because the argument is in the same equivalence class as
> the element, even though NaN == NaN currently returns false?

Yes... but much more than that, too.

You should be *allowed* to use algorithms like `contains` on arrays of
`Double` with predictable results. Today, `Double` “conforms” to
`Equatable` but `==` has the wrong semantics.  So, `Double` lies to the
rest of the library, and therefore, technically, any uses of Double with
those algorithms has unspecified behavior.

We can fudge around it a bit and document that NaN isn't “in the domain
of `==`,” similar to the way `0 as Int` isn't in the domain of
divisors. That effectively means that you're allowed to use `contains`
on an array of `Double`, with predictable results, so long as it
contains no NaNs... and otherwise, unspecified behavior.  But IMO that's
rather awful.

> That seems totally reasonable, and I think it would be very helpful
> for the proposal to specifically call out some of these
> scenarios—right now it focuses mostly on ordering, which led to my
> confusion.
>
> To take this further, let's say I have a data structure where the elements
> are a type with multiple fields, and the ordering is determined by a single
> one of those fields (the "key").

If the ordering is a total ordering over keys, this is a strict weak
ordering over elements, where all elements with the same key fall into
the same equivalence class.  If you consider the other fields to be
inessential to the value of your elements (c.f. Array's capacity), you
can call it a total ordering over your elements.

> Would a reasonable definition of equivalence in this model be one
> where a is equivalent to b if a.key == b.key, regardless of the values
> of the other fields, and equality is implemented by comparing all the
> fields?

The proposal as written specifies that `a <=> b` is a total ordering and
it is consistent with `areSame(a, b)`.  That means that the definition of
`areSame` that only compares keys would be allowed iff you consider the
other fields to be inessential to the value of your elements.

Equality via `==` is allowed to have whatever domain-specific semantics
you like. Best practice would be for `==` to match `areSame`
exactly. Second-best practice would be for it to not match but still be
an equivalence relation.  Unfortunately floats follow “worst practice”
;-)

> This is similar to how C++ STL's definition of equivalence for ordered
> collections falls out of the expression !(a < b) && !(b < a), since
> you could conceivably implement < and == with the same distinctions
> there.
>
> I would be completely supportive of using `===` for this equivalence
> instead of areSame, based on your argument about identity. Would we need an
> escape hatch for people who absolutely need to know whether two instances
> occupy the same address?

`ObjectIdentifier(a) == ObjectIdentifier(b)` already works.

Dave