[swift-evolution] Returning nothing

James Dempsey dempsey at mac.com
Fri Jul 22 16:38:29 CDT 2016

I think there might be some confusion since the Swift API Design Guidelines session at WWDC 2016 mentions:
“One of the principles of this particular API Design Guidelines is that we really want the use sites to read grammatically.”
and continues with a number of examples.

and the current Swift API Design Guidelines state:
“Prefer method and function names that make use sites form grammatical English phrases.”.

So there has been strong guidance to prefer Swift APIs that read like English grammar at the call site.

But I don’t think there has been any guidance to make API declarations read like English grammar.

But Chris just wrote:
> I said that Swift was not designed to mock English grammar

My understanding is that:

- It is preferable for method and function names to form grammatical English phrases at the call site — but not absolutely necessary if something that breaks this guideline provides more clarity at the call site.

- There is no guidance that API declarations are expected to read grammatically

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,

James

———————