[swift-evolution] [Pitch] separate syntax of class inheritance and protocol conformance

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:28:30 CDT 2016

On 22.07.2016 18:13, Karl wrote:
> What about if we defined subclasses with the “subclass” keyword instead of “class”? So you knew the first parameter was always going to be a base class?
>
> That way we keep the single “:” everywhere else - where clauses, generic constraints lists, etc.

I like this idea, so when I see

subclass B: A, P1, P2 {
}

or

class B : Z {
}

it is clear when it is conformance and where it is inheritance, no need in
any additional rule to separate class/protocol, still will work if P1&P2
syntax will be allowed, i.e.

subclass B: A, P1&P2 {
}

Also, as we are moving in Protocol-Oriented-Programming way, IMO we should
not somehow adds complexity to syntax of conforming value types to
protocols. So, seems like the only place where we can change the syntax -
is inheritance of class with double colon `class Derived::Base:Protocol` or
with this `subclass Derived: Base, Protocol`