[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Variadics as Attribute

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Jul 21 13:43:23 CDT 2016

> On Jul 21, 2016, at 3:13 AM, Tino Heth <2th at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> Am 20.07.2016 um 21:54 schrieb Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com>:
>>
>> I’m sorry I’m late to this thread, but I’m personally strongly opposed to this.
> May I ask a general question:
> What implications does this statement have? Is it "spare yourself from unnecessary work, this will never be accepted", or "prepare yourself for a hard review”?

It is hard to say, but it could definitely be either of those.  In any case, we’re moving more to a model that proposals need to have fairly strong community support before merging them.  This is because we’ve had a number of proposals getting rejected recently, ones that were “obviously” not going to happen.

That said, I specifically worded it that way so that you know it was my person feeling, not the measured opinion of the core team or anyone else.  My opinion is shaped by many things, including a significant amount of thinking about the shape of Swift as it is today, along with the tradeoffs involved in adding and removing things.  That said, the community sentiment and other core team member opinions frequently change my position on things, so it’s not some invariant - a well developed and very compelling argument is always important for a successful proposal.

-Chris