[swift-evolution] [Proposal][Discussion] Qualified Imports

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:08:45 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Robert Widmann <devteam.codafi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> of qualified imports by changing the syntax." Sure.
>>>

>>> Ne’er the twain shall meet.

>>> I have to disagree with your reasoning here. Unless I'm mistaken, the
>>> readability we're most concerned with is that of the written text, not its
>>> spoken form.
>>>
>>> Nesting is an almost exclusively _visual_ way of organizing text and it
>>> adds real clarity on the page. Of course, if your litmus test for
>>> readability is literally trying to read it out loud, you would conclude
>>> that nesting is inferior. However, you'd make that same conclusion about so
>>> many other choices in Swift syntax (take, for instance, `:` instead of
>>> `extends` or `->` instead of `returns`). I conclude, on the other hand,
>>> that Swift is clearly not aiming to be AppleScript-like in this respect.
>>>

>>> I disagree.  Standard Library Swift reads left to right in a very
>>> carefully chosen and consistent manner - it has been refined on this list
>>> and by the team quite a lot to get it that way.  You seem to think I’m
>>> arguing verbosity is the end goal (AppleScript?): I’m not.  Clarity is the
>>> goal.  It is unambiguous what you mean when you say
>>>
>>> import Swift using (String, Int, Double) hiding (String.UTF8View)
>>>

>> Is it ambiguous to say `import Swift using (String hiding (UTF8View),
>> Int, Double)`?
>>

>> What happens when it is time to extend this proposal to members?
>>

> Short answer: don't.
>
> Long answer: I've been studying documentation for the Agda model on which
> you're basing this proposal. I like it a lot, and it doesn't have any of
> these issues we're discussing.
>
> First: there's the distinction in Agda between `import` and `open`. It's
> `open` that allows you to hide and "re-"name, and these operations only
> concern the short, unqualified names that are exposed, never changing
> what's imported. Thus, none of this is mutating the API.  By contrast, I
> see Agda offers `as` for importing something as something else, just like
> what's has been suggested in this thread and the last. All of this--the
> distinction between import and open, the distinction between `import ...
> as` and what's essentially typealiasing--reflects very closely the
> semantics found in other languages which I was trying to describe to you
> (poorly) yesterday.
>
> I don't see any facility in Agda where qualified names for definitions can
> be vaporized post-hoc by `hiding`. [Yes, I know that technically you're not
> making anything disappear, etc.; but the point is that when I'm hiding
> frobnicate() from Foo the original Foo.frobnicate() is no longer in the way
> of whatever I want to do.] Can you give an example where this is permitted
> in any other language? Why would you want to be able to do this to
> individual members? As discussed in the previous thread, it seems a recipe
> for some really nasty stuff.
>

> That was renaming.  That is out of scope for this proposal.

And correctly so, IMO. What I'm saying is, let's make renaming of members
out of scope for *Swift*.

> Second: Agda explicitly prohibits chaining `using` and `hiding`. In fact,
> one piece of documentation said that the reason for this prohibition was
> "obvious."
>

> Agda doesn't permit using and hiding to be chained because they have a
> proper module system that encourages hiding by nesting modules to any depth
> and qualified importing or hiding their contents.  We have no such
> facility, and I don't anticipate its inclusion in Swift, so I recovered
> that same power here.

If recovering that same power does not absolutely necessitate a
source-breaking change, then this could be postponed until we have a full
discussion on modules and any alternatives. Put another way, I can see why
you might *want* chaining as a way of recovering more power, but the
source-breaking changes that need to be made by next week surely do not
require chaining.

> If we're to go down the road of taking inspiration from Agda, I think your
> proposal is missing some of the key things that make it work well. In that
> language, a sharp distinction is drawn between import and open, and we
> could do well to observe the same. I've always thought it problematic that
> `import Foundation` in Swift does both so that we're stuck with unqualified
> names for everything in Foundation. It would probably be too late to make
> that distinction past Swift 3.
>

> That is a function of a module system and relevant to the second
> proposal.  As qualified imports today make no distinction between open and
> imported modules, we felt it wasn't necessary to include it here.  We want
> this.  We want it badly.  But this isn't the right place to ask for it.

Fine. But let's roll chaining and hiding into the same future discussion.
It's inextricably linked to a more complex vision and seems out of place in
this proposal.

Moreover, I'd seriously reconsider for the future whether facilities to