[swift-evolution] [Proposal][Discussion] Qualified Imports

Robert Widmann devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:02:02 CDT 2016

~Robert Widmann

2016/07/21 8:21、Colin Barrett via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> のメッセージ:

> I'm not sure how any of that's relevant to what I said. (I'm on my phone. Please excuse any incoherence or typos.) Your module system from the other proposal is, like in Haskell, tied to the directory structure of the project, which is in my mind an anti-pattern.

This thread is about qualified imports.  I initially thought you mean the import system wouldn't scale to accommodate ML-style modules.   Now I see this is just about modules.  We need to postpone this discussion until that proposal comes up, or use the old thread to voice this please.

> And I don't believe either SML or OCaml have a way to selectively import (open in ML terms), much less do renaming. Using ML style modules a bunch has me convinced. Beyond first-class modules, the key aspects of ML germane to this proposal in my mind are: qualified import by default (module statement) and separating identifier search (open statement) from re-exporting (include statement). Local open is also a big deal.

It is a big deal, we know about it, and we wanted it.  It is out of scope for this proposal.

> For anyone else in the thread curious about ML modules, my friend Danny wrote this up a while ago, it's quite good http://jozefg.bitbucket.org/posts/2015-01-08-modules.html

Seconded.  Fine blog.